Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Jew at Christmas


(Chorus)
What’s it like to be a Jew at Christmas?
What’s it like to be left out?
What’s it like to be a Jew at Christmas?
My guess is pretty darn annoying,
Hardly worth enjoying,
Tedious and cloying no doubt!

Your quiet little street’s now ostentatious
Gussied up with lights like Times Square
And garish blow up Santa’s and their reindeer
Are cheapening front lawns ever where  (even here!)

The shelves are stocked with more than you can fathom
More-crap than you could pos-si-bly-y need
It’s not so much the shoppers clogging up the check out lines
But Christmas music loud enough to make your ea-ears bleed

(Bridge)
The holiday season’s o-ver-wrought and vulgar  (vulgar)
And I can’t help but feeling like you do
I’m totally overwhelmed and the irony of it all
Is Ba-by Je-sus grows-up to be-come a Jew like you!

Oh!
(Repeat chorus)

I imagine it’s a pain to tell your children
And have to listen every time they grouse
They won’t be getting Christmas presents on the 25th
Nor will they be décor-ating a fir-tree in your house

Often times I wish that I could join you
And simplify by eating out Chinese
And wrap up only eight presents for Hanukah
This stress level is anathema to me

I’m super sorry on behalf of Santa
And well-meaning Christians everywhere
It’s not that we set out to commandeer your quiet lives
It’s more-like that-we real-ly do-n’t care

(Repeat chorus)

No comments: