Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pleasing/Gone

Last night as I was sinking down
Floating into new sleep
I wrote the loveliest, richest poem
That none shall ever peep

I didn’t reach for paper
Nor for pencil, what’s the point?
My thoughts lingered like vapor
Which my pillow would anoint

It was a pleasing poem
And I smiled my inside smile
Knowing it would please you
As I wrote it without guile

But like the day, I let it go
They’re not all for preserving
Like when I’ve left my camera
Though the moment seems deserving

Sometimes a week can pass this way
Unworthy of remark
No news is good news as they say
From curled up in the dark

And so I’ll strive to make peace with
The poem that is gone,
As hours and friends who’ve flit and fled
Like fireflies on the lawn

Was it enough to know them?
Some things just aren’t meant for keeps
I hunger for desire
But want is thin and aching seeps

Some friendships aren’t conducive and
Like poems and steam dissolve
Wee hours can be elusive
Not the time for staunch resolve