Sunday, July 11, 2010

Delaware

Would you believe it if I told you that
I didn't truly sleep in the middle
until I was
legally divorced?

And I could lob myself into shoulders
for chemicals, inching a little,
but morning might be
painstaking and forced

***
Oh, I'll never move to Delaware,
presume the lead, or grow my hair
Because I've resigned myself to my face

And I can dance the Ode to Joy and
harmonize with the boys
So, maybe I've returned to that place
***

No, we'll never know the royal we because
you'll never call and I won't either
and that's because
it's the right thing not to do.

But life is long and folks get hit by
pianos dropped, avoiding ether,
and change their minds
and hearts to name a few.

So cowboy up the herd's 'a running and
take no guff 'cause it takes cunning
and fortitude,
but I know you knew that.

With bass guitars and ballet dancers,
movie stars, I'll take no chances
until you ask me straight,
for less hat

And I'll tell you...

***
That I'll never move to Delaware,
presume the lead, or grow my hair
Because I've resigned myself to my face (It's my only face)

And I can dance the Ode to Joy and
harmonize with the boys
It may be I'm already in that place

I think that I'm already in that place
***

No comments: